RE: Audio Video synchronization for data received from a HDMI receiver chip

> On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 06:10:43 Bhupesh SHARMA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > (adding alsa mailing list in cc)

> > > Indeed, that's my question as well :-)
> >
> > We use Sil 9135 receiver chip which is provided by Silicon Image.
> > Please see details here:
> http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=109
> >
> > > Anyway, this question comes up regularly. V4L2 provides timestamps
> for
> > > each
> > > frame, so that's no problem. But my understanding is that ALSA does
> not
> > > give
> > > you timestamps, so if there are processing delays between audio and
> > > video, then
> > > you have no way of knowing. The obvious solution is to talk to the
> ALSA
> > > people
> > > to see if some sort of timestamping is possible, but nobody has
> done
> > > that.
> >
> > I am aware of the time stamping feature provided by V4L2, but I am
> also
> > not sure whether the same feature is supported by ALSA. I have
> included
> > alsa-mailing list also in copy of this mail. Let's see if we can get
> > some sort of confirmation on this from them.
> >
> > > This is either because everyone that needs it hacks around it
> instead
> > > of trying
> > > to really solve it, or because it is never a problem in practice.
> >
> > What should be the proper solution according to you to solve this
> issue.
> > Do we require a Audio-Video Bridge kind of utility/mechanism?
>
> I don't believe so. All you need is reliable time stamping for your
> audio
> and video streams. That's enough for userspace to detect AV sync
> issues.

Hi Hans,

I have another doubt regarding the framework choice for the entire
system that I have, especially the video part of the system. The overall
system is similar to the one depicted below:

HDMI data --> HDMI receiver chip --> Video Port IP on SoC --> System DDR

HDMI data is received from external world (from say a set-up box or dvd player),
which is fed to the HDMI receiver chip on-board and then parallel data lines feed
this data to a Video Port IP on the SoC which has a DMA master interface and
hence can push the data thus received directly on system DDR.

Now, I can figure out that there will be two drivers required here:
# HDMI receiver chip driver (which is essentially a v4l2 subdev being controller via I2C)
# Video Port driver (which is a v4l2 bridge driver)

Is my understanding correct?
Are there any HDMI receiver subdev driver and video bridge driver already available which I can
use for reference?

Also will the audio ALSA driver fit as a subdev driver in the entire system?

P.S. I use the terminology 'bridge' and 'subdev' as mentioned in 'v4l2-subdev.h' header file.
Regards,
Bhupesh