Re: [linux-dvb] Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI 2000i

Am Samstag, 9. April 2011 schrieb Devin Heitmueller:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:35 AM, pigeonskiller@xxxxxxxxx
>
> <pigeonskiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI 2000i
> > (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB- T_PCI_Cards#Pinnacle) was
> > introduced in 2006 and after 5 years it is still unsupported in linux!
> > Unbelievable!
> > Yet its chips Zarlink ZL10353 (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.
> > php/Zarlink_ZL10353) and Microtune MT2060 (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.
> > php/Microtune_MT2060) are supported (http://www.linuxtv.
> > org/downloads/drivers/linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2)!
> > So, what is missing?
> > Probably this is the reason why Linux is not so widespread: LACK OF
> > DRIVERS! And this is the reason why a lot of users cannot migrate to
> > Linux and are forced to use that stupid O.S. called Win****!
> > If anyone wants to have a look at Windows' drivers and is able to develop
> > drivers (I'm not), here are the drivers:
> > ftp://ftp.pctvsystems.com/TV/driver/PCTV%202000i/PCTV%20250i%202000i.zip
> >
> > Sorry for the outburst.
> > A user wishing to migrate to Linux.
>
> Just a quick followup.  I talked to my engineering contact over at
> PCTV and got some more information about the product.  The PCI bridge
> in question is proprietary to Pinnacle and only used in four of their
> products.  By contrast, most of the bridges we add support for are
> used by dozens of products by multiple vendors (and in most cases at
> least somebody working on the Linux driver has documentation from the
> chipset vendor under NDA).
>
> Adding support for a new bridge often takes weeks or even months of
> development (and that's when the developer has supporting
> documentation).  It doesn't make sense for a LinuxTV developer to make
> that sort of investment in time unless there is a good level of
> confidence that the work would apply to a large number of products.
>
> In other words, out of dumb lucked you happened to have bought a
> device that will likely *never* be supported because of the components
> used.  Your best bet is to spend a few bucks and buy a recent product
> (five years is an eternity in the computer business).
>
> Devin

Some years ago I started writing a driver for this card (which should have
covered as well the single tuner version and the DVB-S versions of that card).
I found out quite a lot of the register set of the DTV bridge (e.g. I2C
communication, talking to the tuners and demodulators), but was stuck when it
came to DMA transfers (probably because I haven't written a driver for such a
complex piece of hardware before).
Finally I lost interest because I switched to a PCIe based solution (DVICO
DVB-T Dual express, which worked practically "out of the box").

If anybody is interested I am happy to share my notes and the pieces of the
driver that I put together.

Hans-Frieder

Hans-Frieder Vogt                       e-mail: hfvogt <at> gmx .dot. net