Re: [git:v4l-dvb/for_v2.6.40] [media] cx18: mmap() support for raw YUV video capture

Em 02-05-2011 18:31, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> On Monday, May 02, 2011 22:59:09 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> It was merged without *asking* Andy. I know he has had some private stuff to
>>> deal with this month so I wasn't surprised that he hadn't reviewed it yet.
>>>
>>> It would have been nice if he was reminded first of this patch. It's a
>>> fairly substantial change that also has user-visible implications. The simple
>>> fact is that this patch has not been reviewed and as a former cx18 maintainer
>>> I think that it needs a review first.
>>>
>>> If someone had asked and Andy wouldn't have been able to review, then I'd have
>>> jumped in and would have reviewed it.
>>>
>>> Andy, I hope you can look at it, but if not, then let me know and I'll do a
>>> more in-depth review rather than just the simple scan I did now.

>>> No, please remove the patchset because I have found two other issues:
>>>
>>> The patch adds this field:
>>>
>>>        struct v4l2_framebuffer fbuf;
>>>
>>> This is not needed, videobuf_iolock can be called with a NULL pointer instead
>>> of &fbuf.
>>>
>>> The patch also adds tvnorm fields, but never sets s->tvnorm. And it's
>>> pointless anyway since you can't change tvnorm while streaming.
>>>
>>> Given that I've found three things now without even trying suggests to me that
>>> it is too soon to commit this. Sorry.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>        Hans
>>
>> Indeed comments/review are always welcome, although it would have been
>> great if it had happened a month ago.  It's the maintainer's
>> responsibility to review patches, and if he has issues to raise them
>> in a timely manner.  If he doesn't care enough or is too busy to
>> publicly say "hold off on this" for whatever reason, then you can
>> hardly blame Mauro for merging it.
>
> It's also a good idea if the author of a patch pings the list if there
> has been no feedback after one or two weeks. It's easy to forget patches,
> people can be on vacation, be sick, or in the case of Andy, have a family
> emergency.

Do you know if/when he will be available to discuss about it?

>> Likewise, I know there have indeed been cases in the past where code
>> got upstream that caused regressions (in fact, you have personally
>> been responsible for some of these if I recall).
>>
>> Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  If there are real
>> structural issues with the patch, then let's get them fixed.  But if
>> we're just talking about a few minor "unused variable" type of
>> aesthetic issues, then that shouldn't constitute reverting the commit.
>>  Do your review, and if an additional patch is needed with a half
>> dozen removals of dead/unused code, then so be it.
>
> Well, one structural thing I am not at all happy about (but it is Andy's
> call) is that it uses videobuf instead of vb2. Since this patch only deals
> with YUV it shouldn't be hard to use vb2. The problem with videobuf is that
> it violates the V4L2 spec in several places so I would prefer not to use
> videobuf in cx18. If only because converting cx18 to vb2 later will change
> the behavior of the stream I/O (VIDIOC_REQBUFS in particular), which is
> something I would like to avoid if possible.

Userspace applications works fine with vb1. Even if vb1 is not fully v4l2 compliant,
it is a de-facto standard[1].

In other words, any change of behaviour for stream I/O controls that would cause
applications that rely on vb1 way to break should be reverted on vb2, as otherwise
it would be a regression. I'm assuming that this is not the case for vb2.

However, as I was not able to test it yet, as the saa7134 port were incomplete, and
didn't work, and I was not able yet to test a stream with a Samsung device, partially
due to my lack of time, I'm not sure if all relevant applications work properly with
vb2.

> I know that Andy started work on vb2 in cx18 for all stream types (not just
> YUV). I have no idea of the current state of that work. But it might be a
> good starting point to use this patch and convert it to vb2. Later Andy can
> add vb2 support for the other stream types.

When he's done with his work, it is only a matter of replacing one code by the
other.

>> We're not talking about an untested board profile submitted by some
>> random user.  We're talking about a patch written by someone highly
>> familiar with the chipset and it's *working code* that has been
>> running in production for almost a year.
>
> It's not about that, it's about merging something substantial without the SoB
> of the maintainer and without asking the maintainer.
>
> I'm not blaming anyone, it's just a miscommunication. What should happen with
> this patch is up to Andy.

Let's hear Andy's review on the patchset.

Thanks,
Mauro.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto