On 4/20/11, Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Those are almost all dev_dbg spew.

Indeed, it seems to come from

        retval = send_packet(ictx);
        if (retval) {
                pr_err("send packet failed!\n");
                goto exit;
        } else {
                dev_dbg(ictx->dev, "%s: write %d bytes to LCD\n",
                        __func__, (int) n_bytes);
        }

in imon.c

> The normal way to enable dev_dbg spew is via some debugfs magic:
>
> http://outer-rim.gnu4u.org/?p=38
>
> (see also <kernel source>/Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt)

I don't quite see why this would have happened since I didn't have a
debugfs mounted
during the build or after rebooting to use the new modules, to the
best of my knowledge.

> But I also seem to recall that DEBUG may be getting defined
> somewhere as part of the media_build process, which might be what
> is enabling that spew in your case.

I can't follow the flow in the build system well enough to see for
sure where this would be enabled or not, but some after grepping I
found the following in the file
 /linux/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget/dvb-ttusb-budget.c
 136-
 137:#define DEBUG 0
 138-static int ttusb_cmd(struct ttusb *ttusb,

All other uses of DEBUG that I can find are #if'ed or #ifdef'ed in the
C code files.

dvb-ttusb-budget.c is being built, but why should the definition there
affect other modules?

Cheers
Vince