Re: mt9t111 sensor on Beagleboard xM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> On Monday 11 April 2011 11:11:06 javier Martin wrote:
> > Hi Laurent,
> >
> > > Adding pad-level operations will not break any existing driver, as long
> > > as you keep the existing operations functional.
> >
> > Is it really possible to have a sensor driver supporting soc-camera,
> > v4l2-subdev and pad-level operations?
>
> Probably. Guennadi should be able to help you some more with that, he's the
> soc-camera expert.

I'm afraid, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the (current state of)
pad-level ops:-)

I don't think, it is a very good idea to support two APIs in sensor
drivers: pad-level for reuse with ISP and other compatible drivers and
subdev / soc-camera for soc-camera hosts.

I've tried pad-level ops as I played with the beagleboard-xM and an
mt9p031 camera module. At that time to use the OMAP3 camera framework you
had to use MC-aware applications. Standard V4L2 applications had no
chance. I am not sure, whether this is a limitation of the ISP
implementation or of the MC / pad APIs themselves. If this is still the
case and if this backwards-compatible V4L2 mode is indeed difficult to
implement with MC / pad, then soc-camera cannot migrate to that API atm.

So, ideally, what should happen, I think, is the following:

1. we make sure, that the new APIs seamlessly support a "classic V4L2"
fallback mode.

2. migrate (respective parts of) soc-camera to pad-level

3. enable driver reuse, for which, I think, two more things will have to
be done: (a) create and switch to a unified way to pass driver platform
data to subdev drivers (soc-camera is currently using struct
soc_camera_link for this), (b) solve the bus configuration problem.

> > I've been reviewing the code of mt9t112 and I'm not very sure soc-camera
> > code can be easily isolated.
> >
> > What is the future of soc-camera anyway? Since it seems v4l2-subdev and
> > media-controller clearly make it deprecated.
>
> My understanding is that soc-camera will stay, but sensor drivers will likely
> not depend on soc-camera anymore. soc-camera will use pad-level operations, as
> well as a bus configuration ioctl that has been proposed on the list (but not
> finalized yet). Guennadi, can you share some information about this ?

We want to reuse sensor drivers, yes:-)

> > Wouldn't it be more suitable to just develop a separate mt9t112 driver
> > which includes v4l2-subdev and pad-level operations without soc-camera?
>
> I don't think duplicate drivers will be accepted for mainline.

+1

Thanks
Guennadi
---