Re: [RFC] V4L2 API for flash devices

Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi David,

Salut,

>>> Same control?
>>>
>>> I wonder if I could say we agree to have one timeout control which is
>>> used to control the hardware timeout directly, or to implement a timeout
>>> in software? :-)
>>
>> Correct if I'm wrong, but I guess we might be talking about 2 kind of
>> timeouts:
>> - One for the duration itself
>> - Another one to act like watchdog in addition to the hw timeout
>
> Do we need a control for that, or should it just be a fixed value that comes
> from platform data ?

I think it's good to set the hardware timeout as small as possible. This
makes the timeout behaviour more deterministic. I'm not sure if the
information _needs_ to be delivered to user space though.

On the other hand, if we now use the same control for both software and
hardware timeout we can't add a new one without changing the meaning for
the old one.

My proposal: let's postpone this and decide when we need to. Only
hardware timeouts are implemented for now. When someone wants a software
timeout then figure out what to do. We'd have exactly the same options
then: the same control or a new control.

>> IMO they should be different controls. We could even specify on the
>> control name when it's a watchdog case to make it more clear.

>>> Torch suggests it can be used over extended periods of time, unlike
>>> manual which doesn't really say much. I'd keep it torch since what it
>>> suggests is that it can stay on for long. No references outside the
>>> flash controller itself.
>>
>> I'd keep with torch also as it seems to be more clear.
>
> OK, I'll give up then :-)

Torch, then. :-)

--
Sakari Ailus