Re: [RFC] V4L2 API for flash devices

On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:35:19 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> [...]
> >> device, for example in a mobile phone. The use cases could be somewhat
> >> different in devices the primary use of which is camera.
> >>
> >> Unsynchronised LED flash (software strobe)
> >> ------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Unsynchronised LED flash is controlled directly by the host as the
> >> sensor. The flash must be enabled by the host before the exposure of the
> >> image starts and disabled once it ends. The host is fully responsible
> >> for the timing of the flash.
> >>
> >> Example of such device: Nokia N900.
> >>

> >> Synchronised LED flash (hardware strobe)
> >>
> >> The synchronised LED flash is pre-programmed by the host (power and
> >> timeout) but controlled by the sensor through a strobe signal from the
> >> sensor to the flash.
> >>
> >> The sensor controls the flash duration and timing. This control
> >> typically must be programmed to the sensor, and specifying an interface
> >> for this is out of scope of this RFC.
> >>
> >> The LED flash controllers we know of can function in both synchronised
> >> and unsynchronised modes.
> >>

> >> LED flash as torch
> >> ------------------
> >>
> >> LED flash may be used as torch in conjunction with another use case
> >> involving camera or individually. [4]
> >>

> >> Synchronised xenon flash
> >> ------------------------
> >>
> >> The synchronised xenon flash is controlled more closely by the sensor
> >> than the LED flash. There is no separate intensity control for the xenon
> >> flash as its intensity is determined by the length of the strobe pulse.
> >> Several consecutive strobe pluses are possible but this needs to be
> >> still controlled by the sensor.
> >>

> >> Proposed interface
> >> ==================
> >>
> >> The flash, either LED or xenon, does not require large amounts of data
> >> to control it. There are parameters to control it but they are
> >> independent and assumably some hardware would only support some subsets
> >> of the functionality available somewhere else. Thus V4L2 controls seem
> >> an ideal way to support flash controllers.
> >>
> >> A separate control class is reserved for the flash controls. It is
> >> called V4L2_CTRL_CLASS_FLASH.
> >>
> >> Type of the control; type of flash is in parentheses after the control.
> >>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE (button; LED)
> >>
> >> Strobe the flash using software strobe from the host, typically over I2C
> >> or a GPIO. The flash is NOT synchronised to sensor pixel are exposure
> >> since the command is given asynchronously. Alternatively, if the flash
> >> controller is a master in the system, the sensor exposure may be
> >> triggered based on software strobe.
>
> It occurred to me that an application might want to turn off a flash
> which has been strobed on software. That can't be done on a single
> button control.
>
> V4L2_CID_FLASH_SHUTDOWN?
>
> The application would know the flash strobe is ongoing before it
> receives a timeout fault. I somehow feel that there should be a control
> telling that directly.
>
> What about using a bool control for the strobe?

It depends: is the strobe signal just a pulse that kicks off the flash, or is
it active throughout the flash duration? In the latter case a bool makes
sense, in the first case an extra button control makes sense.

> [...]
> >> strobe signal to the flash.
> >>
> >> In this case the flash controller setup is limited to programming strobe
> >> timeout and power (LED flash) and the sensor controls the timing and
> >> length of the strobe.
> >>
> >> enum v4l2_flash_strobe_mode {
> >> 	V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_MODE_SOFTWARE,
> >> 	V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_MODE_EXT_STROBE,
> >> };
> >
> > I'm not sure about the naming. Perhaps call the first MODE_SW_STROBE?
> > Or MODE_SW_TRIGGER and MODE_HW_TRIGGER? Or perhaps just MODE_SOFTWARE and
> > MODE_EXTERNAL or MODE_HARDWARE.
>
> MODE_SOFTWARE and MODE_EXTERNAL (or MODE_HARDWARE) are the best, I
> think. Indeed there's no need to repeat strobe in the name of a strobe mode.
>
> "External" is good since it directly indicates the strobe is external to
> the flash controller.
>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT (integer; LED)
> >>
> >> The flash controller provides timeout functionality to shut down the led
> >> in case the host fails to do that. For hardware strobe, this is the
> >> maximum amount of time the flash should stay on, and the purpose of the
> >> setting is to prevent the LED from catching fire.
> >>
> >> For software strobe, the setting may be used to limit the length of the
> >> strobe in case a driver does not implement it itself. The granularity of
> >> the timeout in [1, 2, 3] is very coarse. However, the length of a
> >> driver-implemented LED strobe shutoff is very dependent on host.
> >> Possibly V4L2_CID_FLASH_DURATION should be added, and
> >> V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT would be read-only so that the user would be able
> >> to obtain the actual hardware implemented safety timeout.
> >>
> >> Likely a standard unit such as ms or µs should be used.
> >
> > It seems to me that this control should always be read-only. A setting
like
> > this is very much hardware specific and you don't want an attacker
changing
> > the timeout to the max value that might cause a LED catching fire.
>
> I'm not sure about that.
>
> The driver already must take care of protecting the hardware in my
> opinion. Besides, at least one control is required to select the
> duration for the flash if there's no hardware synchronisation.
>
> What about this:
>
> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT
>
> Hardware timeout, read-only. Programmed to the maximum value allowed by
> the hardware for the external strobe, greater or equal to
> V4L2_CID_FLASH_DURATION for software strobe.
>
> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_DURATION
>
> Software implemented timeout when V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE_MODE ==
> V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_MODE_SOFTWARE.
>
> I have to say I'm not entirely sure the duration control is required.
> The timeout could be writable for software strobe in the case drivers do
> not implement software timeout. The granularity isn't _that_ much
> anyway. Also, a timeout fault should be produced whenever the duration
> would expire.
>
> Perhaps it would be best to just leave that out for now.

Do you need something like this for the N900? If not, then leaving it out
until we have a bit more experience is a good option.

Regards,

	Hans

> [...]
> >> };
> >
> > Would a LED_MODE_NONE make sense as well to turn off the flash completely?
>
> It would essentially be the same as choosing software strobe and
> disabling strobe. A separate mode for this still could be good to make
> it explicit.
>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_INTENSITY (integer; LED)
> >>
> >> Intensity of the flash in hardware specific units. The LED flash
> >> controller provides current to the LED but the actual luminous power is
> >> dictated by the LED connected to the controller.
> >>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TORCH_INTENSITY (integer; LED)
> >>
> >> Intensity of the flash in hardware specific units.
> >>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_INDICATOR_INTENSITY (integer; LED)
> >>
> >> Intensity of the indicator light in hardware specific units.
> >>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_FAULT (bit field; LED)
> >>
> >> This is a bitmask containing the fault information for the flash. This
> >> assumes the proposed V4L2 bit mask controls [5]; otherwise this would
> >> likely need to be a set of controls.
> >
> > I intend to work on bitmask controls and control events tomorrow.
>
> Nice! I look forward to see them! :-)
>

> >> #define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_OVER_VOLTAGE		0x00000001
> >> #define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_TIMEOUT		0x00000002
> >> #define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_OVER_TEMPERATURE	0x00000004
> >> #define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_SHORT_CIRCUIT		0x00000008
> >>
> >> Several faults may occur at single occasion. The ADP1653 is able to
> >> inform the user a fault has occurred, so a V4L2 control event (proposed
> >> earlier) could be used for that.
>
> Btw. as this is an I2C device, there's an external interrupt pin which
> tells this. Very likely the board code needs to tell this to the driver,
> or the driver could depend on the GPIO framework while the configuration
> would be in the board code.
>
> >> These faults are supported by the ADP1653. More faults may be added as
> >> support for more chips require that. In some other hardware faults are
> >> available for indicator led as well.
> >>
> >> Question: should indicator faults be part of the same control, or a
> >> different control, e.g. V4L2_CID_FLASH_INDICATOR_FAULT?
> >
> > If they are independently reported, then I would say so, yes.
>
> I believe it could be the same register, but this could be hardware
> dependent.
>
> Still, the faults essentially can be divided to separate LEDs. Perhaps
> it'd be good to rethink this when someone writes a driver for such a
> device. :-)
>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_CHARGE (bool; xenon)
> >>
> >> Charge control for the xenon flash. Enable or disable charging.
> >>

> >> 	V4L2_CID_FLASH_READY (bool; xenon, LED)
> >>
> >> Flash is ready to strobe. On xenon flash this tells the capacitor has
> >> been charged, on LED flash it's that the LED is no longer too hot.
> >>
> >> The implementation on LED flash may be modelling the temperature
> >> behaviour of the LED in the driver (or elsewhere, e.g. library or board
> >> code) if the hardware does not provide direct temperature information
> >> from the LED.
> >>
> >> A V4L2 control event should be produced whenever the flash becomes ready.

Management/Camera-Flash-LED-Drivers/AS3645

> >> [4] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/flashlight-applet/
> >>
> >> [5]
> >> http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/v4l2-brainstorming-
warsaw-2011-03/notes/day%202%20(SGz6LU2esk).html

> >> [6]
> >> http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/v4l2-brainstorming-
warsaw-2011-03/notes/day%203%20(RhoYa0X9D7).html