Re: S2-3200 switching-timeouts on 2.6.38

Am 24.03.2011 19:32, schrieb Steffen Barszus:
It has been done some work (and effort), to prove its having positive
effect. you should allways
have more then 1000 stations at any time on that SAT, if you see that maximum
number of stations is somewhere at 1600. everything around 400 is
broken hardware or driver.

Agreed, but this is why I asked about the difference between the channel search with stb6100 patch only and both patches applied.
Nobody says that 400 channels are expected behaviour.
But the difference of less than 20 channels between both patches could easily be caused by temporal availability of services. This is all I said and all I suggested to proof.

Even a simple diff of both searches would be helpful. Just to check which channels are missing.

I am not in the position to accept or reject this driver, just wanted to be helpful in finding out if it's really needed.

Please dont consider his post as single experience of a single user. The general
perception was more like "Wow i can finally use that card and don't
throw it away."
  from 10+ Users which i know of. So no matter if its considered done
right or not.
The tuning patch is out of question of improving the usability of the
affected cards.

The request has been, to prove that the changes at the stb6100 is not
enough to actually
fix the problem. This prove has been done now . The changes on the
stb6100 is not enough,
the changes at the stb0899 still has quite positive effect.

So taking into account that the patch improves situation and doesn't
have negative side
effects for others, it might be wise to consider inclusion of the
patch, even if it might not
be the perfect solution from technical/theoretical perspective.

I dont want to complain until the patch is in, its just: We have a
problem, we have a solution.
Lets use it and make this hardware useful for the people and lets do
it right when time permits.

There is still a handful of other patches for the same hardware
floating around to improve other parts of that driver.

I mean this hardware is known to work "less then perfect" since years, really.

So please do something about it. Accept the helping hands.

Thanks