Re: Dib7000/mt2266 help

Hi Peter,

(adding back the list to CC)

On Saturday 12 March 2011 11:48:38 Peter Tilley wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> My sincerest apologies for coming to you directly but I have tried the
> Linux mailing list and received no response and noticed you seem to have
> been heavily involved with much of the Dibcom driver development.
>
> I have an issue with a dual tuner which is sold under the brand of Kaiser
> Baas KBA01004 but identifies itself as 1164:1e8c which is a Yaun device
> and this device seems to have already been included in the driver files.
>
> It loads ok and reports not problems.  It tunes ok and reports FE lock on
> all channels however on all but one channel upon receiving FE lock the
> BER stays at 1ffff instead of dropping to a low number which would
> indicate I am not getting viterbi.
>
> The device is fitted with pairs of MT2266 and DIB7000 which I have
> positive identified by opening the USB stick.
>
>  am more than happy to try and work this out myself however the amount of
> detail around in support of the Linux drivers is extremely low and a
> search for manufacturers data sheets finds next to nothing.    There
> seems to be lots of what I would call "magic numbers" in the drivers and
> little to determine what they are doing.

Are you sure it is a driver problem?

If the BER stays at this value it could also mean that the channel-
configuration is wrong.

Are you using a channels.conf which has all parameters set, or are you doing
a channel-scan-like tune (all values are set to AUTO).

> My question to you is are you able to offer either any pointers to solve
> the problem or help me find detailed information about the devices so I
> can help myself.
>
> I should point out that the device works perfectly under windows on the
> same antenna and indeed I have even successfully extracted the firmware
> from the supplied windows driver, renamed it so it loads and the problem
> still remains.

There are usually some adaptations board-designing companies do to improve
reception quality (adding external LNAs and things like that) that are of
course handled by the Window-driver, because it is created by the
manufacturer and not by the Linux-driver, because (in this case) the driver
was released by the chip-manufacturer.

Is the device toggling between FE_HAS_LOCK and no FE_HAS_LOCK or does it
stay constantly at

Please try whether you can achieve the BER lowering by moving the antenna or
using a better one. If this helps, it really means that the windows-driver
does something more the board.

I doubt that the chip-driver needs to be changed, more likely the GPIOs of
the dib0700 (in dib0700_core.c) or of the dib7000 are used to turn on or off
a frequency switch or a LNA.

Good point, what are the frequencies you're tuning ?

regards,

--
Patrick
http://www.kernellabs.com/