Re: [ANN] First draft of the agenda for the Warsaw meeting

On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 08:08:43 Jaeryul Oh wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> We want to confirm if it is possible to discuss our concerning points
> at each item of 1st draft that you made as below.
>
> Our concerning items that we want to discuss are :
>
> 1. Issues when using V4l2 control framework with codec
>    : http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg27975.html
>    : Can we discuss 'V4l2 control framework to support codec' in your first
> agenda ?
>      (Compressed format API for MPEG, H.264, etc. xxx)
>    : We will post related contents in mailing list before joining Warsaw
> meeting.

Certainly. If I am not mistaken the required control framework changes you
refer to in the supplied link are actually done in Laurent's media
controller/OMAP3 patch series, so these should appear any day now.

> 2.  Subdev architecture enhancements(second agenda)
>    :
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/29442
> /focus=29570
>      -> We posted our issue(subdev related) as above link, and
>          If it(Subdev architecture enhancements)is applied, it might resolve
> our issue.
>    :  So, we want to talk about some problem & solving way in second agenda
>
> 3. Which interface is better for Mixer of Exynos, frame buffer or V4l2 ?
>    : http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg28549.html
>     -> Here at fifth agenda (HDMI receiver/transmitter API support),
>         We want to discuss that frame buffer interface is more suitable for
> Mixer.
>         Can we discuss that here ?

I think I'll combine 2 and 3 to a new 'framebuffer & V4L2' topic.

> 4. Method for sharing buffer b/w processes
>   : http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg29936.html
>   : This is one of big topics, I know
>   : In Warsaw meeting we would like to share the SDVMM concept for buffer
> sharing.
>     I know it's a very huge topic. But if you arrange the priority of it in
> the agenda,
>     one more person in Samsung(S.LSI) will attend the meeting
>     even though it is just a concept sharing.
>     As I know, ST-Ericsson also uses Mali(ARM GPU).
>     I also want to hear the usage from Willy Poisson.
>   : Can we discuss this items at 'Buffer Pool(HWMEM, GEM, CMA)' ?

No, not a good idea. This issue needs its own (brainstorm) meeting(s). I have
it as a 'if time permits' topic, but I very much doubt that we will have time.

As I mentioned in other posts, I think that linaro should organize a meeting
with all the main stakeholders to find a solution that all parties can agree
to. It seems that almost all of the linaro sponsors have their own solution,
so I'd say that linaro is the ideal organization to pull this.

Since Samsung is one of the sponsors I recommend that you help linaro in
setting this up.

It might be useful to have a separate brainstorm meeting were we go through
the V4L2 requirements and look at the various solutions as a preparation for
a linaro meeting. So we know what the needs of the V4L2 subsystem are. That
might be something that Samsung LSI could set up.

This issue is quickly becoming the most important remaining problem when it
comes to video handling in embedded systems. I think it is technically not
even that difficult, but it requires kernel-wide consensus. This requires
meetings, and those require money to organize and to sponsor the travel of
those developers who can't get the money.

Regards,

	Hans