Re: [GIT PULL FOR 2.6.39] Media controller and OMAP3 ISP driver

Em 07-03-2011 10:00, Mauro Carvalho Chehab escreveu:
> Em 07-03-2011 09:02, Hans Verkuil escreveu:

>> Am I missing something here? Isn't it as simple as remembering whether the
>>
>> subdev is in streaming mode (s_stream(1) was called) or not? When streaming
>>
>> any attempt to change the format should return an error (unless the hardware
>>
>> can handle it, of course).
>>
>> This is the same as for the 'regular' V4L2 API.
>
> Not all subdevs implement s_stream, and I suspect that not all bridge drivers
> calls it. The random example I've looked didn't implement (mt9m111.c), but even
> some that implements it (like mt9m001.c) currently don't store the stream status
> or use it to prevent a format change.
>
> At the moment we open the possibility to directly access the subdev,
> developers might think that all they need to use the new API is to enable
> the subdev to create subdev nodes (btw, the first mc patch series were enabling
> it by default). However, opening subdev access without address such issues will
> lead into a security breach, as buffer overflows will happen if hardware can't
> handle format changes in the middle of a streaming [1].
>
> Also, a lock there will only work if properly implemented at the bridge driver,
> as a bridge driver that implement the media controller should implement something
> like the following sequence (at VIDIOC_REQBUFS):
>
> 	lock_format_changes_at_subdev();			/* step 1 */
> 	get_subdev_formats();					/* step 2 */
> 	program_bridge_to follow_subdev_format_and_s_fmt();	/* step 3 */
> 	reserve_memory();					/* step 4 */
> 	start_streaming();					/* step 5 */
>

> In the above, s_stream should be called at the step 1, and not at step 5, as,
> otherwise, a race condition will happen, if a MBUS format change happens between
> step 1 and 5.

In time: assuming that s_stream would implement such lock.

Also: it this is a mandatory requirement, it should be part of API documentation.
Otherwise, we'll have subdevs that will implement the lock using one way, and others
using a different way, creating an mess at the subdevs in a way that some subdevs
will work with bridge A, but not with bridge B, that has a different requirement
for such lock.

Cheers,
Mauro.