Re: [patch] Fix AF9015 Dual tuner i2c write failures

2011/3/6 adq <adq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/3/5 adq <adq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> 2011/3/5 Juan Jesús García de Soria Lucena <skandalfo@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hi, Andrew.
>>>
>>> This is what happens to me with both the KWorld dual tuner (when using only
>>> one tuner) and the Avermedia Volar Black (single tuner), both based on
>>> AF9015.
>>>
>>> I also got corrupted streams with the KWorld when capturing via both tuners
>>> (the video our the audio would show artifacts in mythtv each several
>>> seconds).
>>>
>>> As far as the loss of tuning ability goes, I think it's a problem related to
>>> tuning itself, since it wouldn't happen when you just left a channel tuned
>>> and streaming in a simple client, but would trigger after a random time when
>>> you left mythtv scanning the channels for EIT data.
>>>
>>> I don't think it's a problem with a specific HW implementation, since I got
>>> it with both AF9015-based cards. It could be either a chipset quirk our a
>>> bug in the driver.
>>>
>>> My informal and quick tests with Windows Media Center and these cards did
>>> not reproduce the problem, when trying to change channels as quickly as
>>> possible, admittedly for not so long a time.
>>
>> Correct. I have two af9015 cards from different manufacturers as well,
>> and they both exhibit the same problem.
>>
>> However, on a hunch last night, I went back to my original (-v1) patch
>> with the total i2c bus lock and left it running with my tuning scripts
>> for 10 hours. Both tuners are still working fine. That isn't
>> conclusive, but it is encouraging.
>>
>> I'm just swapping back to a completely unpatched state to see how long
>> it takes to break and to check if its easily reproducible (on my live
>> system, it usually does it within a few hours of normal usage).
>>

> Hi, right, I can reproduce it when completely unpatched, but it takes
> a while. I left HTS "tvheadend" running at the same time as "dvbsnoop"
> monitoring each frontend's status (so I had lots of i2c traffic going
> on), and it happened sometime overnight. I turned on all the idle
> scanning and frontend monitoring features tvheadend has.
>
> Now trying running the same with the -v1 patch.

Another issue I've noticed just now: The UCBLOCKS measure isn't reset:
it seems to be an accumulative counter, which isn't correct from the
DVB API (if I remember correctly).

This explains why tvheadend's "quallity" measure gradually tends to 0,
since it is assuming UCBLOCKS is non-accumulative.