Re: Hauppauge "grey" remote not working in recent kernels

On Mar 3, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:30:29 -0500
> Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 2, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Tony Houghton wrote:

>>> OK, thanks. Is it possible to download the patch(es) and apply it to a
>>> current kernel or is that a bit complicated?
>>
>> Not sure how doable it is, don't recall if they're dependent on other
>> changes going into 2.6.38 or not. The patches are still in the
>> linux-media patchwork db (I'm actually merging and testing them in my
>> own tree tonight or tomorrow).
>>
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-media/list/
>
> Thanks. I think I'll have to leave it to the experts. I tried applying
> all the patches from Mauro Carvalho Chehab's set of 13, using the guide
> at <http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage>
> but the guide is slightly out of date and I'm not sure if I even got the
> patches applied. If they did apply they din't work :-(.
>
> On top of that the patches won't apply to 2.6.37 and there doesn't seem
> to be a way to build a linux-kbuild deb for pre-release kernels, so I
> can't easily build an nvidia module and nouveau fails to get the correct
> resolutions on the target system :-(.

Another option:

You could build just the latest v4l/dvb drivers with those patch added,
atop your running kernel, using the media_build system.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Also, note that there's actually a patch 14 also (there are two patches
in patchwork with the same 13/13 title, but one is a follow-on 14th
patch that you'd also need).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx