Request clarification on videobuf irqlock and vb_lock usage

I'm trying to cleanup some deadlocks and random crashed in my v4l2 driver (solo6x10) and I cannot find definitive documentation on that clear usage of irqlock and vb_lock in a driver that uses videobuf.

When and where should I be using either of these to ensure I work synchronously with the videobuf-core?

--
Bluecherry: http://www.bluecherrydvr.com/
SwissDisk : http://www.swissdisk.com/