Re: [RFC] snapshot mode, flash capabilities and control

On Friday, February 25, 2011 18:08:07 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

<snip>

> > > configure the sensor to react on an external trigger provided by the flash
> > > controller is needed, and that could be a control on the flash sub-device.
> > > What we would probably miss is a way to issue a STREAMON with a number of
> > > frames to capture. A new ioctl is probably needed there. Maybe that would be
> > > an opportunity to create a new stream-control ioctl that could replace
> > > STREAMON and STREAMOFF in the long term (we could extend the subdev s_stream
> > > operation, and easily map STREAMON and STREAMOFF to the new ioctl in
> > > video_ioctl2 internally).
> >
> > How would this be different from queueing n frames (in total; count
> > dequeueing, too) and issuing streamon? --- Except that when the last frame
> > is processed the pipeline could be stopped already before issuing STREAMOFF.
> > That does indeed have some benefits. Something else?
>
> Well, you usually see in your host driver, that the videobuffer queue is
> empty (no more free buffers are available), so, you stop streaming
> immediately too.

This probably assumes that the host driver knows that this is a special queue?
Because in general drivers will simply keep capturing in the last buffer and not
release it to userspace until a new buffer is queued.

That said, it wouldn't be hard to add some flag somewhere that puts a queue in
a 'stop streaming on last buffer capture' mode.

Regards,

	Hans