Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] New subdev sensor operation g_interface_parms

Hi Guennadi,

On Tuesday 22 February 2011 12:40:32 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Stanimir Varbanov wrote:
> > This RFC patch adds a new subdev sensor operation named
> > g_interface_parms. It is planned as a not mandatory operation and it is
> > driver's developer decision to use it or not.
> >
> > Please share your opinions and ideas.

[snip] (answering this in another e-mail)

> Shortly talking to Laurent earlier today privately, he mentioned, that one
> of the reasons for this move is to support dynamic bus reconfiguration,
> e.g., the number of used CSI lanes. The same is useful for parallel
> interfaces. E.g., I had to hack the omap3spi driver to capture only 8
> (parallel) data lanes from the sensor, connected with all its 10 lanes to
> get a format, easily supported by user-space applications. Ideally you
> don't want to change anything in the code for this. If the user is
> requesting the 10-bit format, all 10 lanes are used, if only 8 - the
> interface is reconfigured accordingly.

This should indeed be supported out-of-the-box. I'm waiting for Hans' opinion
on this, but the idea is that the user should configure a 10-bit format at the
sensor output and an 8-bit format at the CCDC input to capture 8-bit data.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart