Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] New subdev sensor operation g_interface_parms

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 15:11:49 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:

<snip>

> > I have no problems with dynamic bus reconfiguration as such. So if the
host
> > driver wants to do lane reconfiguration, then that's fine by me.
> >
> > When it comes to signal integrity (polarity, rising/falling edge), then I
> > remain convinced that this should be set via platform data. This is not
> > something that should be negotiated since this depends not only on the
sensor
> > and host devices, but also on the routing of the lines between them on the
> > actual board, how much noise there is on those lines, the quality of the
clock
> > signal, etc. Not really an issue with PAL/NTSC type signals, but when you
get
> > to 1080p60 and up, then such things become much more important.
>
> I understand this, but my point is: forcing this parameters in the
> platform data doesn't give you any _practical_ enhancements, only
> _psychological_, meaning, that you think, that if these parameters are
> compulsory, programmers, writing board integration code, will be forced to
> think, what values to configure. Whereas if this is not compulsory,
> programmers will hope on automagic and things will break. So, this is
> purely psychological. And that's the whole question - fo we trust
> programmers, that they will anyway take care to set correct parameters, or
> do we not trust them and therefore want to punish everyone because of
> them. Besides, I'm pretty convinced, that even if those parameters will be
> compulsory, most programmers will anyway just copy-paste them from
> "similar" set ups...

First of all, I don't trust myself, let alone someone else :-)

So forcing people to think about it is a good thing in my mind.

Secondly, if we rely on negotiations, then someone at some time might change
things and suddenly the negotiation gives different results which may not work
on some boards. And such bugs can be extremely hard to track down. So that is
why I don't want to rely on negotiations of these settings. People are free to
copy and paste, though. I assume (and hope) that they will test before sending
a patch, so if it works with the copy-and-pasted settings, then that's good
enough for me.

Regards,

	Hans