analogue tuners: radio volume much lower than TV volume

My PVR350 (ivtv) and my PVRUSB2 Model 29034 (pvrusb2) have a much lower volume
when switching to radio.

On the HVR1300 (cx88-blackbird, Philips FMD1216ME tuner) this is no problem;
radio has same volume level.

The saa7134-based KNC One TV Station DVR (similar tuner: FMD1216MEX) has a
very low audio volume on radio, even lower than the ivtv/pvrusb2 devices.
Unfortunately it is not possible to set the volume. The radio device doesn't
support V4L2_CID_AUDIO_VOLUME, and performing the ioctl on the video device
causes a switch back to TV mode.

Is there an explanation for this audio volume issue? Does it depend on the
tuner type?
Should a driver internally sets a higher audio volume for radio mode, or is
this against the V4L2 api?