Re: Current soc-camera status.

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, javier Martin wrote:

> Hi,
> does currently soc-camera support using soc-camera host drivers with
> non soc-camera sensors?
> For instance, I would like to use soc-camera host driver
> "mx2_camera.c" with non soc-camera sensor "tvp5150.c".
>
> How much effort would it take to accomplish this goal?

The answer is: it does not work yet out of the box, but the conversion
effort should really be pretty low for standard v4l2-subdev drivers. It
should be _very_ low if you just want to try it locally, however, it will
become more essential to bring it into the mainline, because there it will
have to be done _properly_, by extending existing, and adding missing
APIs. Basically, we just need a real-life example to actually perform this
work. Up to now there have been a few such requests, but each time the
requester disappeared shortly after the first discussion round, so, we
never had a chance to actually accomplish the task.

> Does it depends on conversion to v4l2-device API?
> (http://www.open-technology.de/index.php?/pages/soc-camera.html)

Thanks for reminding me;) As you can see, that page is dated by 2009,
since then a couple of things have changed. You'd be better off looking at
the sources or the soc-camera category in my blog.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.