Re: firedtv and removal of old IEEE1394 stack

On Feb 03 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> I discovered (somewhat to my surprise) that the IEEE1394 stack was removed
> from the kernel in 2.6.37. Your commit 66fa12c571d35e3cd62574c65f1785a460105397
> indicates that the ieee1394 firedtv code can be removed in an indepedent commit.
>
> It seems that this was forgotten since the firedtv-1394.c source is still
> present.

It is not forgotten, just delayed. :-)

> Is it OK if I remove it? I assume that anything that depends on DVB_FIREDTV_IEEE1394
> can be deleted.

This stuff can be removed indeed, and will be.  After that, some further
simplifications are possible since the backend abstraction is no longer
necessary.

> It would be nice to remove this since building the firedtv driver for older kernels
> always gives problems on ubuntu due to some missing ieee1394 headers.

How so?  Then there is something wrong with the backported sources.  If
CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not defined, neither make nor gcc ever see anything
that includes ieee1394 headers.  Vice versa regarding CONFIG_FIREWIRE and
the newer firewire headers.
--
Stefan Richter