Re: [RFC] ISP lane shifter support

Hi Michael,

On Monday 24 January 2011 15:16:28 Michael Jones wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 02:57 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> <snip>

> >> This crossed my mind, but it seems illogical to have a link with a
> >> different format at each of its ends.
> >
> > I agree in theory, but it might be problematic for the CCDC. Right now
> > the CCDC can write to memory or send the data to the preview engine, but
> > not both at the same time. That's something that I'd like to change in
> > the future. What happens if the user then sets different widths on the
> > output pads ?
>
> Shouldn't we prohibit the user from doing this in ccdc_[try/set]_format
> in the first place? By "prohibit", I mean shouldn't we be sure that the
> pixel format on pad 1 is always the same as on pad 2?

Yes we should (although we could have a larger width on the memory write port,
as the video port can further shift the data).

> Downside: this suggests that set_fmt on pad 2 could change the fmt on pad 1,
> which may be unexpected. But that does at least reflect the reality of the
> hardware, right?

I don't think it would be a good idea to silently change formats on pad 1 when
setting the format on pad 2. Applications don't expect that. That's why I've
proposed changing the format on pad 0 instead. I agree that it would be better
to have the same format on the sensor output and on CCDC pad 0 though.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart