Re: [RFC] ISP lane shifter support

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 01/24/2011 01:10 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Friday 21 January 2011 09:40:21 Michael Jones wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In the OMAP ISP driver, I'm interested in being able to choose between
>> 8-bit and 12-bit formats when I have a 12-bit sensor attached.  At the
>> moment it looks like it's only possible to define this statically with
>> data_lane_shift in the board definition.  But with the ISP's lane
>> shifter, it should be possible for the application to ask for 8-bits
>> although it has a 12-bit sensor attached.
>
> That's right. This would be an interesting feature for the driver. It's also
> possible to implement this at the input of the video port (but only when
> forwarding data to the preview engine).

True, but I do also want the feature available for data written
directly to memory.

>> Has anybody already begun implementing this functionality?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
>> One approach that comes to mind is to create a subdev for the
>> bridge/lane shifter in front of the CCDC, but this also seems a bit
>> overkill.  Otherwise, perhaps consider the lane shifter a part of the
>> CCDC and put the code in there?
>
> I would keep the code in isp.c, and call it from ccdc_configure(). It should
> just be a matter of adding an argument to the function.

It seems unnecessary to add an arg to ccdc_configure (that's what I
understood you to mean). It gets isp_ccdc_device, which has all the
necessary info (pixel format in, which output is active, pixel format
out).  Seems like I could implement it entirely within
isp_configure_bridge(). And of course some changes in
ccdc_[try/set]_format().  This is what I will try to do.

>> Then ccdc_try_format() would have to check whether the sink pad has a pixel
>> format which is shiftable to the requested pixel format on the source pad.
>> A problem with this might be if there are architectures which have a CCDC
>> but no shifter.
>
> The CCDC module already calls isp_configure_bridge(), so I don't think it's an
> issue for now. Let's fix the code when (and if) we start using the driver on a
> platform without a lane shifter.

Agreed.

>> Are there other approaches I'm not considering?  Or problems I'm
>> overlooking?
>
> As the lane shifter is located at the CCDC input, it might be easier to
> implement support for this using the CCDC input format. ispvideo.c would need
> to validate the pipeline when the output of the entity connected to the CCDC
> input (parallel sensor, CCP2 or CSI2) is configured with a format that can be
> shifted to the format at the CCDC input.

This crossed my mind, but it seems illogical to have a link with a
different format at each of its ends.  For instance, I think it is a
sensible assumption that media-ctl automatically sets the format at the
remote end of a link if you're setting an output pad's format. This is
when I thought a subdev of its own would be more logically consistent
with the media controller framework (although overkill).

>> Also- it looks like the CCDC now supports writing 12-bit bayer
>> data to memory.  Is that true?
>
> That's correct. It will support 8-bit grey data soon (patches have been
> submitted internally already).

Michael

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner