Re: video_device -> v4l2_devnode rename

> Em 19-01-2011 05:39, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
>> Hi Mauro,
>>
>> I saw that 2.6.38-rc1 was released. I also noticed that not all the
>> patches
>> that are in the for_2.6.38-rc1 branch are in 2.6.38-rc1.
>
> Yes. Unfortunately, when I was sending the pull request yesterday, I
> noticed
> an issue on my linux next tree, and I had to abort its send. After that,
> Linus
> released -rc1, before I have time to fix it.
>
> People should really send me patches for the next window before the start
> of the
> merge window, as doing it during the merge window makes my work harder and
> may
> cause troubles like that.
>
> The net result is that most patches were submitted in time and were
> applied upstream.
> Of course, there are usual fix patches sent during the merge window, that
> will be sent
> upstream anyway during the rc period.

Speaking of that, my prio patches and the dsbr100 patches (with the new
v4l2_device release callback) can be moved to 2.6.39. If they can be
merged fairly early on, then I can build on those.

> There are two patch series with new stuff submitted in time and merged on
> my
> tree that didn't reach upstream:
> 	- vb2/s5p-fimc - they required me more time to review - I also spent 3
> days testing it;
> 	- ngene - there were a pending API discussion - I waited for a while to
> see if
> 	  there were some solution, before deciding to merge and move the
> problematic
> 	  code to staging.
>
> So, I'll need to dig into the pending patches, in order to send the ones
> that
> are acceptable after the end of the merge window, and letting the other
> patches
> for .39. I'll likely try to send the two above and the dib0700 patches on
> a separate
> pull request, but this pull request might be rejected.
>
>> We want to rename video_device to v4l2_devnode. So let me know when I
>> can
>> finalize my patches and, most importantly, against which branch.
>
> It is too late for that. As I said you, the better time for doing that is
> during
> the merge window. Linus said me that he don't want to make life easier for
> function
> rename. So, he won't be accepting such patch after the merge window.

You were going to tell me when you had finished merging so that I wouldn't
aim at a moving target. This is very annoying.

Regards,

        Hans