Re: video_device -> v4l2_devnode rename

Em 19-01-2011 05:39, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> We want to rename video_device to v4l2_devnode. So let me know when I can
> finalize my patches and, most importantly, against which branch.
>
> My current tree:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/devnode2
>
> tracks for_2.6.38-rc1 and should apply cleanly at the moment.

Even not being able to handle it for .38, I did a look on the proposed
changes. I'm not convinced about those renaming stuff.

By looking on other subsystems, it seems to me that video_device_register()
is a better name than any other name. Btw, by far, the use of _node for the
device registration on Linux kernel is not usual at all:

$ git grep -e "_register"  --and -e "(" --and -e "node" include |grep -v "of_mdiobus_register("
include/linux/compaction.h:extern int compaction_register_node(struct node *node);
include/linux/compaction.h:static inline int compaction_register_node(struct node *node)
include/linux/swap.h:extern int scan_unevictable_register_node(struct node *node);
include/linux/swap.h:static inline int scan_unevictable_register_node(struct node *node)

There are only 2 functions using it. On those, the "node" at the function
register name is due to "struct node", and they likely make sense.

A seek for *register*device or *device*register patterns show a lot:

$ git grep -e "_register_device"  --and -e "("  include|wc -l
28

$ git grep -e "_device_register"  --and -e "("  include|wc -l
32

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, on all subsystems, the function that creates
the devices is called *register*device or *device*register.

Why should we adopt anything different than the kernel convention for V4L2?

Cheers,
Mauro