Re: RFC: Move the deprecated et61x251 and sn9c102 to staging

Hi,

On 01/10/2011 02:33 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Em 09-01-2011 10:02, Hans de Goede escreveu:

<snip>

I've managed to make some time to also sort out the sn9c1xx usb ids
situation.  I've just send a pull request which includes patches cleaning
things up. After this there are only 5 usb-ids left which will default to
sn9c102 when both are compiled in, and only 3 of those are not supported
by gspca.

Good!

So if we move the sn9c102 driver to staging we will loose support for
only 3 usb-ids. IOW I think it is time to move it to staging :)

This would be a regression.

Yes, although I wonder if anyone will notice. Fedora has had the sn9c102
driver disabled for 3 releases now and I've received (and fixed) a single
bug in all that time about a cam not supported by gspca_sonixb which
was supported by sn9c102

Note I can write a patch to add untested support for these 3 to the
sonixb driver, given my experience with adding support for the hv7131d
based on the sn9c102 code, that should be doable. But it will be
completely untested :(

I think that the better would be to add support for it at gspca, but wait for
some feedback before considering it working.

Well I've never seen these cams in the wild. sonixb cams with vga sensors
are quite rare because they cannot do more then 7.5-10 fps. So most cam
makers did the smart thing and went with a sonixj bridge for vga sensors.

Anyways I'll do a gspca patch for adding support for the missing 3 models
(as time permits). And then we can ship that (and make it the default
if both are compiled in) for 1 or 2 cycles before moving the sn9c102 driver
to staging. Assuming we don't receive any negative feedback in those
2 cycles (or manage to fix found bugs).

Regards,

Hans