Re: Debug code in HG repositories

On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:13 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Oliver Endriss <o.endriss@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> are you aware that there is a lot of '#if 0' code in the HG repositories
>> which is not in GIT?
>>
>> When drivers were submitted to the kernel from HG, the '#if 0' stuff was
>> stripped, unless it was marked as 'keep'...
>>
>> This was fine, when development was done with HG.
>>
>> As GIT is being used now, that code will be lost, as soon as the HG
>> repositories have been removed...
>>
>> Any opinions how this should be handled?
>>
>> CU
>> Oliver
>
> I complained about this months ago.  The problem is that when we were
> using HG, the HG repo was a complete superset of what went into Git
> (including development/debug code).  But now that we use Git, neither
> is a superset of the other.
>
> If you base your changes on Git, you have to add back in all the
> portability code (and any "#if 0" you added as the maintainer for
> development/debugging).  Oh, and regular users cannot test any of your
> changes because they aren't willing to upgrade their entire kernel.
>
> If you base your changes on Hg, nothing merges cleanly when submitted
> upstream so your patches get rejected.
>
> Want to know why we are seeing regressions all over the place?
> Because *NOBODY* is testing the code until after the kernel goes
> stable (since while many are willing to install a v4l-dvb tree, very
> few will are willing to upgrade their entire kernel just to test one
> driver).  We've probably lost about 98% of our user base of testers.

What Hans said re: media_build. I've been pointing quite a few people on
the mythtv-users mailing list in that direction for updated drivers on
top of their distro kernels.

Additionally, the current Fedora 14 kernels (which are 2.6.35.10-based)
carry a patchset developed using media_build with essentially the 2.6.38
rc1 snapshot code, so a fair number of Fedora users *are* testing this
code long before its in a stable upstream kernel release.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx