Re: RFC: V4L2 driver for Qualcomm MSM camera.

On 1/3/2011 6:37 PM, Shuzhen Wang wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Pinchart [mailto:laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:24 PM
To: Shuzhen Wang
Cc: 'Mauro Carvalho Chehab'; 'Hans Verkuil'; linux-
media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; hzhong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Yan, Yupeng
Subject: Re: RFC: V4L2 driver for Qualcomm MSM camera.

I will strongly NAK any implementation that requires a daemon.

We understand the motivation behind making the daemon optional.
However there are restrictions from legal perspective, which we
don't know how to get around.

A simplest video streaming data flow with MSM ISP is like this:

Sensor ->  ISP Hardware pipeline ->  videobuf

The procedure to set up ISP pipeline is proprietary and cannot
be open sourced. Without proper pipeline configuration, streaming
won't work. And That's why we require the daemon.

Laurent/Hans/Mauro,

We are working on and will provide more design information on Qualcomm MSM ISP design and explain the legal concern of the daemon implementation.

The underlined idea is to comply to V4L2 architecture with MSM solution. In the meantime, Laurent, can you share with your major concern about the Daemon?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thank,
Shuzhen