Re: Should a index be passed on the fly with the VIDIOC_QBUF ioctl in V4L2_MEMORY_USERPTR case ?

Hi Jonghun,

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 11:51:17 Jonghun Han wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any comment for this ?
>
> In my opinion v4l2 spec is not accurate in this topic.
> Because VIDIOC_REQBUFS describes count is only used in V4L2_MEMORY_MMAP as
> below.
> __u32	count	The number of buffers requested or granted. This field is
> only used when memory is set to V4L2_MEMORY_MMAP.
>
> But there is no comment in QBUF and DQBUF part about index.
> So I am confused. If an index isn't needed, how to driver handle it ?

The spec should be fixed. VIDIOC_REQBUFS needs to be called for USERPTR as
well, and the buffer count is definitely used.

> On Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:10 PM Jonghun Han wrote:
> >
> > I wonder that a index should be passed on the fly with the VIDIOC_QBUF
> > ioctl in V4L2_MEMORY_USERPTR case.
> > If it isn't needed, should driver return virtual address gotten from
> > application on the fly with the VIDIOC_DQBUF ioctl ?

VIDIOC_DQBUF is supposed to fill the v4l2_buffer structure with the index and
the userspace virtual address (among other information). If it doesn't, it's a
driver bug.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart