Re: [ANN] Media Summit September 16th: Final Agenda (v7)

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 01:06:15PM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Thu, 26 Sep 2024 13:30:02 +0300
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 12:38:15AM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > New drivers only. Patches for drivers already at staging can go via
> > > committers tree.
> >
> > I think those could still be pushed directly, but I'm fine with a pull
> > request for the time being. If the concern is that you'd like to have a
> > look at the driver first, in the long run I'd rather ping you for a
> > review and then push once you give an ack. We should move away from
> > reviews at pull request time, they don't scale.
>
> There aren't many new stage drivers, so this doesn't need to scale.

The comment about scaling was about reviews at PR time, not about
drivers/staging/.

> Also, we prefer drivers going directly to drivers/media, so staging
> should be used only on unusual cases.

No disagreement there, and I think that accepting new drivers in staging
is something worth discussing when it happens. Nobody said drivers
should be sneaked in there.

> Subsystem maintainers should
> give a final word if a driver should be merged there or directly on
> drivers/media.

> > > Hans and I are planning to push fixes at the media-committers tree, as it
> > > allows CI to run those, but the goal here is not about visibility - it is
> > > just to ensure that CI will execute tests on the merged patches.
> >
> > That's also a useful goal of course. If we can kill two birds with one
> > stone, that's a good outcome.
> >
> > > For committers and developers, the fixes workflow remains the same:
> > > PRs for committers and patches for developers.
> > >
> > > -
> > >
> > > See, the main repository is hosted at linuxtv.org. We intend to avoid
> > > as much as possible rebases at the media tree at linuxtv.org, on both
> > > fixes and next branches.
> > >
> > > The media-committers tree at fdo is focused on executing patches at CI
> > > and should only be used by committers. All other developers should base
> > > their work at the repository stored at linuxtv.org[1].
> >
> > That I don't like. We want people working on the media subsystem to test
> > the very latest code, and to base their work on the tree that their
> > patches will land in. Otherwise there will be conflicts, and the risk of
> > conflict will increase as we pick up pace with the new workflow and
> > merge patches faster.
>
> This is unavoidable: in the beginning committers may (and will) make
> mistakes, as this is a different workflow. As we keep adding more committers,
> more mistakes may happen, specially for the newbies.
>
> So, we need to protect the tree where patches land in (media at
> linuxtv.org) from potential issues that might happen at the shared tree.
>
> Besides that, conflicts are unavoidable on a multi-committers tree.
>
> > > [1] We are planning to have a "media" repository there, replacing the
> > >     current "media-stage" tree.
> > >
> > > See, the media-committers repository at fdo can be rebased. This might
> > > happen, for instance, if we don't agree with some merge there during
> > > our merge review or if other committers disagree with merges. On such
> > > case, the not-accepted patches will be dropped via rebase and the patches
> > > will need to be reviewed the normal way.
> >
> > Things that haven't reached a consensus should not be merged in the
> > first place, and in the rare cases where it happens, a revert is fine.
> > Rebases should be kept for situations where no other option is possible.
>
> I guess we agree to disagree.

I certainly disagree, yes. I won't comment further, I think you know my
position well enough, and I'm certain the majority of the community is
also against rebases.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart