Re: [ANN] Media Summit September 16th: Final Agenda (v7)

Hi Laurent,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 01:24:48PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 12:19:14PM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > Sounds reasonable. I'd also like to avoid rebases as much as possible.
> > >
> > > Do we have a list of cases where a rebase would be needed? A license issue
> > > or a missing Sob line, perhaps?
> >
> > No, and I don't think we can write a rule to cover such cases. The only rule
> > is that it is up to maintainers to decide to do a rebase or not, and this
> > will be done case by case.
> >
> > With regards to the cases you mentioned, it is almost surely that license
> > issues will call for a rebase. The same may apply up to some point for
> > missing/refused SoBs from authors, co-developers and from the committers.
> >
> > Yet, I would expect that a more common case is if someone touches the code
> > and another committer/developer/author nacks with such changes.
> >
> > So, for instance, suppose you maintain driver A. Some other committer
> > may end merging a patch for driver A without your ack. Depending on the
> > patch that could be OK (trivial/doc changes, bugs with bug fixes that
> > are available for some time, etc).
> >
> > Yet, even if the committer did an honest handling of the patch, you may
> > still disagree or want some changes at the original patch. On such cases,
> > the maintainers may decide to drop the changes and do a normal review
> > process. They may otherwise request a patch on the top of the applied
> > one to address the pointed issues.
>
> Let's do a revert in that case, and keep rebases for cases where having
> content in the git history causes issues other than bisection problems.

I'd very much prefer this as well: revert or fix, if at all reasonable,
instead of rebasing should be a rule.

> I'd argue that even a missing SoB may not be a cause for rebase if it's
> an accident, but that's not worth debating because CI will make sure
> this never happens.

Does it?

checkpatch.pl checks should just be warnings. And that should probably
stay. Sob: and From: being different isn't necessarily that far-fetched as
having an address in .mailmap may change From: field but not Sob:,
resulting in a checkpatch.pl warning.

I wonder if checkpatch.pl should know about .mailmap actually, currently it
doesn't. I could send a patch.

> > There is also worse case scenarios, like a committer violating the
> > committer's agreement.
>
> I'm fine with rebases if someone gets rogue and merges malicious code,
> or commits with insults in the commit message. I don't foresee that
> happening regularly, if ever.

I'm more concerned of a malicious actor getting access to the committer's
credentials rather than the committer him-/herself going crazy. And if this
happens, changes are it won't be noticed immediately.

Reminding of
<URL:https://github.com/lfit/itpol/blob/master/linux-workstation-security.md>
in the instructions might not be a bad idea.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus