Re: [ANN] Media Summit September 16th: Draft Agenda (v3)

Em Mon, 26 Aug 2024 01:24:55 +0300
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> [...]
> > Michael Tretter <m.tretter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Pengutronix)
> > Suresh Vankadara <svankada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Qualcomm)
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil-cisco@xxxxxxxxx> (Cisco Systems Norway)
> > Alain Volmat <alain.volmat@xxxxxxxxxxx> (ST Electronics) (TBC)
> > Sean Young <sean@xxxxxxxx>
> > Jerry W Hu <jerry.w.hu@xxxxxxxxx> (Intel)
> >
> > Remote Attendees (using MS Teams):
> >
> > Steve Cho <stevecho@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (Google)
> > Nas Chung <nas.chung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Chips & Media)
> > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (Google)
> > Hidenori Kobayashi <hidenorik@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (Google)
> > Jai Luthra <j-luthra@xxxxxx> (TI)
> >
> > Note: information on how to connect remotely will come later.
> >
> > If any information above is incorrect, or if I missed someone, then please let me know.
> >
> > We are currently 16 confirmed in-person participants and one TBC. The maximum is 18 people,
> > so we're almost full. If you want to join in-person, then contact me and I'll put you on a
> > waitlist. The attendee list should be finalized by the end of August.
> >
> > Draft agenda:
> >
> > 8:45-9:15: get settled :-)
> >
> > 9:15-9:25: Hans: Quick introduction
> >
> > 9:25-10:00: Steve Cho:
> >
> > - V4L2 testing on Chromium using virtual video decode driver (VISL)
> > - V4L2 video decoding testing with KernelCI
> >
> > 10:00-11:00: Ricardo: multi-committer model using gitlab
> >
> > 11:00-11:15: break
> >
> > 11:15-12:15: Jacopo: Multi-context support in V4L2
> >
> > 12:15-13:30: Lunch
> >
> > 13:30-14:00: Tomasz: Current state of videobuf2, its limitations and the paths forward.
> >
> > 14:00-14:45: Laurent: subdevs, state, and usage of the media controller device to submit requests.
> >
> > 14:45-15:00: break
> >
> > 15:00-15:30: Sean: new tooling for infrared:
> >
> > - What it is and what it can do (love to hear any feedback of course)
> > - Where it should be hosted? (I hope gitlab fdo, who do I ask)
> > - What needs to be in place for a release?
> > - This tool replaces ir-ctl and ir-keytable. How we phase them out?
> >
> > 15:30-16:00: Daniel: Rust in the media subsystem
> >
> > 16:00-16:15: break
> >
> > 16:15-16:30: Hans: UVC maintenance
> >
> > 16:30-18:00: TBD
>
> Here's a candidate topic for this time slot:
>
> Should media drivers depend on CONFIG_PM?
>
> Supporting both CONFIG_PM and !CONFIG_PM in drivers requires cumbersome
> constructs, most likely leading to bugs because !CONFIG_PM is hardly
> ever tested. The issue can be at least partly attributed to deficiencies
> in the runtime PM and driver core APIs that should make this task easier
> for drivers, but that will not realistically change any time soon.
>
> In !CONFIG_PM kernels, drivers using runtime PM power up the device at
> probe time, and keep it powered until remove time. The increased power
> consumption really makes !CONFIG_PM a niche use case, if a use case at
> all.
>
> For those reasons, I would like to propose depending on CONFIG_PM for
> media drivers. In an ideal world this could be done for the whole

This is not an option. Not all drivers depend on it. Some of them will
never need it - like most USB and PCI tv/capture cards and digital tv ones.

> However, some architectures don't support CONFIG_PM, namely
>
> - alpha
> - csky
> - hexagon
> - m68k
> - microblaze
> - nios2
> - openrisc
> - parisc
> - s390
> - sparc (32-bit version only, sparc64 supports CONFIG_PM)

Well, arch-dependent drivers, like the ones made to run with ARM SoC
could depend on PM, but then there are sensor drivers and such which
are somewhat independent.

> I assume we would get complains of the media subsystem became unusable
> on those architectures. The decision could be made per driver, or per
> category of drivers. I'm in particular interested in avoiding the churn
> of supporting !CONFIG_PM in camera sensor drivers, and in platform
> drivers that are used only on platforms that support CONFIG_PM.

There are a couple of sensor drivers that are used by em28xx, which, as far
as I remember, doesn't use PM. So, even for sensors it could be problematic.

> I'm aware that asking this question may open the door to a more annoying
> one. If we decide that we need to keep supporting those platforms in
> camera sensor drivers, and that keeping the camera sensor powered up
> unconditionally is not good enough, then we will have to reconsider the
> move to runtime PM for sensor drivers that we started years ago (and
> haven't completed yet).

Having PM support for sensor drivers makes sense, provided that it won't
break support of the existing drivers using them.