Re: [ANN] Request for Topics and registration for a Media Summit September 16th

On 12/06/2024 22:35, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Wed, 12 Jun 2024 17:22:34 +0900
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 4:54 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Agreed. I don't object redesigns in C to make it better - which could have
>>> some colateral effect of making things easier for a future Rust adoption,
>>> but such changes should be justified by themselves, and not because of a
>>> language change.
>>
>> No, the thought of redesign doesn't come from the language change,
>> it's the other way around. Since rewriting a lot of the code already,
>> why not do it in a language that is generally considered better.
>
> As Hans said, Rast has experimental support. We can't have drivers
> depending on experimental stuff.

Indeed.

While discussing Rust for experimental drivers or codec libraries is
interesting (and I am doing a Rust course, so hopefully I have a better
understanding of what's involved by the upcoming media summit), using
it for core media frameworks is simply a hard NACK until Linus blesses
Rust as a second kernel language.

So don't spend your valuable time on that.

>>> See: redesigns at the core will potentially affect lots of drivers,
>>> so it needs very good technical reasons why doing it. Plus, it requires
>>> comprehensive tests with different types of hardware/drivers to reduce the
>>> risk of regressions. Depending on the changes, it may require extra tests
>>> with devices that are outside complex camera world: radio, analog and digital
>>> TV drivers - and even some input devices that use VB2 - to ensure that
>>> nothing broke.
>>
>> We don't have to do it in an all-or-nothing way. We can start with an
>> experimental new implementation in Rust, which could be gradually
>> tested. It could even be done the same way as the vb -> vb2
>> transition, although I suspect it wouldn't really be necessary, as I
>> would like to see it more like a drop-in replacement. In general I
>> think the API exposed outside of the framework wouldn't really change
>> that much, it's more about the internal design.

It makes no sense to have a C and a Rust version of vb2. This framework
is critical to all drivers, and we're not going to support two versions
and fix bugs/add features in two places. Again, it's a hard NACK. Don't
waste time on that.

If there are ideas to make vb2 better, then I am all for that.

I just want to mention two things here:

For most drivers, using vb2 is just fine: the work a driver needs to do is
quite straightforward. Exceptions are codec drivers and possibly complex
camera drivers when they need to use requests (not certain yet).

Internally vb2 is quite complex, but that's because what it does is quite
complex. And that's fine. If the internal structure can be improved to
make it less complex, then I'm all for that, but there is no magic bullet
(including using Rust instead of C) that suddenly makes everything simple.

Generally I prefer to have the complexity in core frameworks, that will
only make life easier for the driver developers.

To summarize:

Until Rust is accepted by Linus as a second kernel language, as media
maintainer I will NACK core media frameworks written in Rust. I won't
spend time on it, it's an immediate NACK from me.

Note that this doesn't imply that once Linus *does* accept Rust, that we
are OK with core frameworks written in Rust. But that will be a separate
discussion once that happens.

Regards,

	Hans