From: Laurent Pinchart [mailto:laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:05 PM
To: Shuzhen Wang
Cc: linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Hans de Goede'
Subject: Re: Zooming with V4L2

Hi Shuzhen,

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 20:58:33 Shuzhen Wang wrote:
> Hello, Laurent,
>
> About using daemon, we have proprietary image processing and optimization
> code that needs to sit between application and driver.

That's a pretty common requirement, and there's nothing seriously wrong
there
(apart from the fact the code should be open, but that's another story :-)).

> I wasn't working on V4L2 at the time, but this constraint was discussed
> in the 2010 mini summit. And it was mentioned in section (1) of
> http://www.linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2010-06-22.mchehab.

The proprietary image processing code should, as you mentioned, sit between
the application and the driver. It can be implemented a a libv4l plugin, or
as
a daemon that a libv4l plugin talks to.

I got the impression from your last e-mail that the application was
communicating directly with the driver, which then communicates with a
userspace daemon. That's something you want to avoid. Apologies if I got it
wrong.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart