Re: An article on the media controller

Hi Jonathan,

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 23:18:02 Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> I've just spent a fair while looking through the September posting of
> the media controller code (is there a more recent version?).  The
> result is a high-level review which interested people can read here:
>
> 	http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/415714/1e837f01b8579eb7/

Thanks a lot for the article.

> Most people will not see it for another 24 hours or so; if there's
> something I got radically wrong, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Here are a few comments:

- Second paragraph: s/lens distortion/lens shading/

- Fifth paragraph: entities can have no bad if no data flows in or out of them
(think of a flash controller for instance,  it needs to be configured,
associated with a sensor, but is not involved in any media data flow). The
pads represent connection points for data flows (usually media data), not for
software configuration.

- Tenth paragraph: there's no end-user application available at the moment,
but we already have a command line test application
(http://git.ideasonboard.org/?p=media-ctl.git;a=summary) and a GStreamer
element (called subdevsrc, available from http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-
multimedia/gst-nokia-videosrc).

> The executive summary is that I think this code really needs some
> exposure outside of the V4L2 list; I'd encourage posting it to
> linux-kernel.  That could be hard on plans for a 2.6.38 merge (or, at
> least, plans for any spare time between now and then), but the end
> result might be better for everybody.

I agree that the more developers who will look at the code, the more ideas we
will get. That might get difficult to manage though :-) I'll cross-post the
next version of the patches.

Regarding sysfs, I won't repeat Hans' and Andy's arguments, but I don't think
it would be a very good match. The API would get much more difficult to use
and would require lany times more system calls. While the media controller
solves a problem that can appear similar to our current power management and
clock routing issues, I'm not sure a common API would make sense. That would
be like arguing that DirectShow should be used for hard disk power management
in Windows :-)

> I have some low-level comments too which were not suitable for the
> article.  I'll be posting them here, but I have to get some other
> things done first.

Thank you in advance for the review.

--
Best regards,