Re: RESEND: RFC: dtv-scan-tables: plans to upstream changes from Tvheadend.org

Hi Christian

Em Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:30:26 +0400
Christian Hewitt <christianshewitt@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Resending due to no response since 12th Jan:
>
> Hello Mauro,
>
> The Tvheadend project bundles dtv-scan-tables in our deb/rpm packages. We have
> our own repo for them; an unmaintained fork of someone else’s unmaintained fork
> of the upstream linuxtv repo https://git.linuxtv.org/dtv-scan-tables.git.

Maintaining forks are hard :-)

> To improve things for everyone we are planning to retool around the linuxtv.org
> repo and would like to sync/upstream the differences to you. The current diff
> can be seen here:
>
> https://github.com/chewitt/dtv-scan-tables/compare/master...tvheadend

Wow! diff sounds huge!

> The main challenges are, a) scrappy descriptions, b) contributor real-names and
> email are missing from most of them, c) multiple contributors to the same files
> over time.
>
> I was thinking to send a series with one patch for each country-code to reduce
> the number of patches to review, with links to original pull-requests in patch
> descriptions to provide attribution to original changes, and any other info
> like URLs added to files as comments if the links still work.

Works for me. I also have a couple of scripts here to help updating from
https://www.lyngsat.com/ and from a Brazilian site for ISDB-T.

I'm run them right now to update dvb-s and isdb-t channels. With that,
it probably won't make sense for you to update dvb-s/s2 and isdb-t channels
from tvheadend fork.

Still, we have gaps on dvb-c/t/t2 and atsc.

> Moving forwards we plan to add a PR template to our GitHub repo that encourages
> patches to be sent directly to the linux-media list; or for contributors to
> provide us with real-name/email for attribution so we can upstream patches on
> their behalf, or remain anonymous but give permission for patches to be sent
> under Tvheadend attribution (likely as myself).

Makes sense. Once we get this in sync, we can discuss further about how to
keep it updated.

> Would my per-country-code patch suggestion work for you? or how would you like
> us to handle the changes?

Per-country-code seems good to me, but the sync has to happen on both
directions, as we've been receiving channels upstream too. Checking what
is the more updated version can be harsh, as you'll need to check it patch
per patch.

> Regards, Christian
> chewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> NB: The pending patch from Simon Liddicott [0] reduces the diff. Could that be
> merged soon?
>
> [0] https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/patch/20230216010528.5921-1-simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Merged, thanks!

Thanks,