Fwd: Re: Warnings from latest -git

Forwarding to linux-media, which I somehow removed from the list of recipients.
Also removing indentation from part of my message. Don't know how that
happened.

Subject: Re: Warnings from latest -git
Date: Friday 05 November 2010
From: Chris Clayton <chris2553@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi again,

>On 2 November 2010 19:09, Chris Clayton <chris2553@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Thanks for the reply, Mauro.

> > > DVB_CORE && DVB_USB && !DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE) selects DVB_DIB8000 which has
> >>
> >> It certainly requires further investigation. From your config file, we
> >> have, for dib0700:
> >>
> >> CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIB0700=m
> >> CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT=m
> >> CONFIG_DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y
> >> CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
> >> CONFIG_DVB_USB=m
> >> # CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE is not set
> >>
> >> And, for dib8000:
> >>
> >> CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT=m
> >> CONFIG_DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y
> >> # CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE is not set
> >> CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
> >> CONFIG_I2C=y
> >>
> >> Both dib0700 and dib8000 were marked as m:
> >>
> >> CONFIG_DVB_DIB8000=m
> >> CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIB0700=m
> >>
> >> So, in this specific example, it actually worked, but we need to find a
> fix
> >> for this bug.
> >

> > I may be wrong, but I don't see why DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE is a dependency in
> these
> > two cases. When it is not set, all the FE drivers are built. When it is
> set,
> > the user selects, which drivers are to be built, but what I think the
>  select
> > statements are doing is select drivers without which other selections the
> user
> > has made make little sense. If that's correct, the DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE can
> simply
> > be removed as dependencies.

I've  looked at and played around with the related Kconfig files.. The
"conflict" arises because when DVB_USB_DIB_0700 is selected, it triggers the
selection of DVB_DIB8000 if !DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE. However, the menu that
DVB_DIB8000 is contained in an "if DVB_FE_CUSTOMIZE" block and that seems to
make DVB_FE_CUSTOMIZE a direct dependency for DVB_DIB8000. I guess the
intention of the if block was to simply switch the display of the menu on or
off.

There are identical truth conflicts involving DVB_TUNER_CUSTOMISE.

The only way I have been able to avoid the warnings is by removing the if blocks
that guard the frontend customisation menu, but simply doing that makes the
related question about customisation look silly.

I don't get this warning in 2.6.36, so I've checked recent changes to
kconfig and 246cf9c26bf11f2bffbecea6e5bd222eee7b1df8 looks as if it will be
the "culprit". It's not a regression, however.  It's a deliberate change to
report the type of conflict we have here. It looks like we need a different
scheme for controlling the visibility of the customisation menu. I'll look
at the kconfig docs and see if I can figure anything out.

Chris