Re: s-video input from terratec cinergy 200 gives black frame or out of sync video

AF Cano, many thanks for your answer!

I would also like someone to answer why the em28xx driver recognizes
my board differently whether connected when booting or after that.
And... what does it mean "em28xx #0: preparing read at i2c address
0x60 failed (error=-19)"?

2010/10/13 A. F. Cano <afc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I don't use the same usb device you're using so I can't be of much help,
> unfortunately.  However, with my own usb device (OnAir Creator) I also
> encounter the black screen when trying to display from the composite
> input.  I have been in contact with one of the developers but I now
> need to test under Windows and I don't have access to windows machines,
> so that's the holdup until I manage to find one where I could install
> the manufacturer's driver and software.  You might try your setup under
> windows, if you have access to such a machine.

My device was supported under windows xp which I don't have at hands :-(
I tried using windows7 which recognizes the device and installs a
default driver. I downloded and run the Terratec Home Cinema
application: what I get is an out-of-sync video :-((

> When I asked about my black screen issue here, I was pointed to
>
> http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#V4L

I'm not able to get mplayer working with the "second method" i.e.
simply playing the video input from the board :-(
I can with xawtv and also vlc but what the best I get is an out-of-sync video

> I have tried mplayer in pvr mode
>
> $ mplayer -tv input=1:normid=16 pvr://
>
> For my device, input=1 is the composite input, 2 is the S-video, but
> the camera I'm connecting has only composite, no S-video, so I can't
> test the S-video input.  Normid=16 is the first NTSC video standard,
> NTSC-M if I remember correctly, but I tried all of them: no difference.
>
> You might want to test with mplayer, it gives pretty verbose output and
> it describes all the video standards supported and inputs of the device.
> I see that you use PAL-DK.  Interesting that we have the same black
> screen problem with different norms and different devices.  Does your
> device supply an mpeg stream?  Mplayer in pvr mode detects the mpeg
> stream.

Sorry, my device cannot supply an mpeg stream... in fact mplayer says:

Playing pvr://.
[v4l2] select channel list europe-east, entries 133
[pvr] Using device /dev/video1
[pvr] Detected Terratec Cinergy 200 USB
[encoder] device do not support MPEG input.
Failed to open pvr://.

--
Antonio-Blasco Bonito
Via Vico Fiaschi 35