Re: OMAP 3530 camera ISP forks and new media framework

Hi Bastian,

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 14:10:00 Bastian Hecht wrote:
> 2010/10/11 Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Nice :S
> >>
> >> I think I take the mt9t001 approach (Sorry Guennadi, I think modifying
> >> your framework is too much for me to start with). So in this driver I
> >> tell the framework that I can do i2c probing, some subdev_core_ops and
> >> some subdev_video_ops. I define these functions that mostly do some
> >> basic i2c communication to the sensor chip. I guess I can handle that
> >> as there are so many examples out there.
> >
> > The best solution would be to add mt9p031 support to the mt9t001 driver.
> > If that's too difficult to start with, you can copy mt9t001 to mt9p031
> > and modify the driver as needed and merge the two drivers when you will
> > be satisfied with the result.
>
> OK, now I built the nokia kernel for the omap3-isp and made your
> mt9t001.c work for it.
> In mt9t001.c you call i2c_add_driver(&mt9t001_driver);
> As far I as I figured out the driver core system looks for matches
> between registered devices in arch/arm/omap/devices.c and appropriate
> drivers.

The driver core looks for matches between registered drivers and registered
devices. Devices are registered in lots of places, arch/arm/omap/devices.c is
only one of them. Board-specific devices are registered (or at least declared)
in a board file located (for this architecture) in arch/arm/mach-omap2/.

> Is the next step to include a static struct platform_device into
> devices.c? Or is there a special i2c_device struct that I have to use?

The OMAP3 ISP driver requires platform data that contain, among other
information, the list of I2C subdevices. Have a look at arch/arm/mach-
omap2/board-rx51-camera.c.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart