Re: udev-161 dvbT kernel-2.6.35.5

On Monday 04 October 2010 20:26:10 sibu xolo wrote:

> I sent the email above  to the list  a day or so ago and received no
> response. If I am on the wrong list I would be grateful if someone  aufait
>    inform me of the appropriate list.   Otherwise suggestions   of where I
> am going wrong would be much apprecuated.
>
> as an update:-
> I tested  the setup described above  on  a machine with kernel-2.6.31.6 and
> /dev/dvb/adapter0 is generated
>
> I recall a  while back when DVB  drivers were not in the kernel.   Then
> they were  integrated within  thus requiring only a kernel compilation.  I
> came across the somewhat  ubuntified  wiki
> ( http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bug_Report )
> (which seems  to suggest the old method    is now needed..  I would  thus
> be grateful for some clarity  as per:-
>
> Is  compiling the kernel  as up to 2.6.28.8 and  with prior selection of
> the appropriate devices under device/drivers/multimedia/video   sufficient
> or does one  now need  to follow the recipe given by the link above.
>
> sx

I have two dvbT devices avermedia-dbvT-usb2 (DEVICE1) and Hauppauge wintv
NovatT-usb2(DEVICE2).  I am not a total novice at installing dvb on linux.  I
have done so in the past on

--kernels 2.6.17/2.6.19
--kernel-2.6.27/2.6.31
firmwares in /lib/irmware
AND Both worked  successfully on the above.

NOW after  the post(s) above  which provided no response,  I fiddled around
like so:-

-----------A) I compiled the kernel  for in-kernel drivers/modern V4L-api/with
DEVICE1 in situ. On booting -  I obtained  /dev/dvb/adapter0.  Eureka.
I then  tried booting with DEVICE2 and  the machine dwelled   then reported
that firmware file could not be found.  I  Then rebooted with DEVICE1 only to
be met with the same message.
I surmised that perhaps I should use the older api  marked depreciated as
DECICE{1/2} are ~6 years old.

----------B)So I recompiled the kernel  with both devices attached  selecting
v4l- depreciated  and compiled all as modules.
After kernel installation   DEVICES{1/2} registered as /dev/dvb/adapter{0/1).
Hurray  at last.
I removed the device did something else and rebooted the machine. with one
device. On booting  I obntained the  'cant find firmware error as reported
under A).
I tried the other device  and onbbtained the same error.

I would be most grateful if someone on list could explain what is going on
please.  I see 'patches' flying  and things looking ever so  busy and
complicated  but no one seens inclined to  provide a modicum of guidance if
only as a pointer to the appropriate list or if this is the appropriate list.

In the words of JKGailbraith 'lets hope that  apparent 'complexities' are not
devices for avoiding simple truths".