Re: [RFC/PATCH v4 08/11] media: Links setup

Hi Mauro,

On Thursday 09 September 2010 03:14:44 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 20-08-2010 12:29, Laurent Pinchart escreveu:
> > Create the following ioctl and implement it at the media device level to
> > setup links.
> >
> > - MEDIA_IOC_SETUP_LINK: Modify the properties of a given link
> >
> > The only property that can currently be modified is the ACTIVE link flag
> > to activate/deactivate a link. Links marked with the IMMUTABLE link flag
> > can not be activated or deactivated.
> >
> > Activating and deactivating a link has effects on entities' use count.
> > Those changes are automatically propagated through the graph.
>
> You need to address here the release() call: if the userspace application
> dies or just exits, the device should be set into a sane state, e. g.
> devices powered on should be turned off,

That's already handled, as media_entity_put() is called in the vdev and subdev
release() functions.

> and links activated by the application should be de-activated.

I don't think that's required. When an application exits with a video device
node open, we don't reset all controls and formats. Power needs to be turned
off and resources need to be released on exit, but configuration doesn't need
to be reset.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart