Re: How to handle independent CA devices

rjkm a écrit :
Hi Johannes,

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
> > So, I would like to hear your opinions about how to handle such CA devices > > regarding device names/types, the DVB API and user libraries. > > it looks like there isn't much interest from DVB developers
 > in that topic...  I'll try...
> > > IMHO there are three sub topics: > > 1. be compatible with existing applications
 >    (I guess this means: feed stream from frontend through CI transparently)
 > 2. create an API which would also work for CI-only
 >    devices like this Hauppauge WinTV-CI USB thingy
 > 3. how to switch between these modes?
> > This sec0 device is history (unused and deprecated for years), right?

Yes, the former DiSEqC, etc. device. I only use it because it is is
unused and I do not have to change anything in dvb-core this way.
But trivial to change it or add ci0.

 > How about the following:
 > Rename it to ci0.  When ci0 is closed the stream is routed
 > transparently from frontend through CI, if it's opened one needs to
 > read/write the stream from userspace.

You still need a mechanism to decide which tuner gets it. First one
which opens its own ca device?
Sharing the CI (multi-stream decoding) in such an automatic way would also be complicated.
I think I will only add such a feature if there is very high demand
and rather look into the separate API solution.

 > If you can't get responses here I guess you could talk to
 > vdr or other application developers.  After all they'll have
 > to use the API.

I am in contact with some.
Just wanted to check what people think about it on this list.

Thanks for your comments.

You might also want to check on mythtv-dev list, there was a guy (James Courtier-Dutton) who wanted to hack exactly this in mythtv. I guess he would have the user space point-of-view. Hope you succeed, because having an independant CI would be perfect to enable real multirec for DVB cards by decoding after the fact.
Bye
Manu