Re: Extremely long delay between CEC image-view-on an standby.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 2:58 AM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > cec-ctl -d0 --tv --cec-version-1.4
>
> That's wrong, the RPi is a Playback device, not a TV. So use --playback instead.
>
> You should also add this line to the config.txt:
>
> hdmi_ignore_cec=1
>
> otherwise the RPi's firmware tries to process CEC messages as well.

Oh, I thought that the TV/playback command was indicating what sort of
device the connected device is. This wasn't clear from the man page,
either. Thank you for that. I made the change to config.txt and
strangely when the RPi rebooted (I have it set to do this
automatically once a day) the projector automatically turned on. I
have never experienced this before.

> > During this time, if I try to poll the projector, it will succeed.
> > However, if I monitor events, after a significant amount of time
> > (appears to be greater than 20 minutes, although this is difficult to
> > verify because of how long it takes) I go will eventually see the
> > following:
> >
> > Event: State Change: PA: 1.0.0.0, LA mask: 0x0000, Conn Info: yes
> >     Timestamp: 30981.428s
>
> Now it appears to be able to read the EDID again and it has a valid
> physical address.
>
> > Transmitted by Specific to Specific (14 to 14): POLL
> >     Tx, Not Acknowledged (4), Max Retries
> >     Sequence: 21 Tx Timestamp: 30981.561s Tx, Not Acknowledged (4), Max Retries
> >
> > Event: State Change: PA: 1.0.0.0, LA mask: 0x4000, Conn Info: yes
> >     Timestamp: 30981.561s
> > Transmitted by Specific to all (14 to 15): REPORT_PHYSICAL_ADDR (0x84):
> >     phys-addr: 1.0.0.0
> >     prim-devtype: tv (0x00)
> >     Sequence: 22 Tx Timestamp: 30981.696s
> > Transmitted by Specific to all (14 to 15): DEVICE_VENDOR_ID (0x87):
> >     vendor-id: 3075 (0x00000c03)
> >     Sequence: 23 Tx Timestamp: 30981.835s
> > Received from TV to Specific (0 to 14): FEATURE_ABORT (0x00):
> >     abort-msg: 132 (0x84, REPORT_PHYSICAL_ADDR)
> >     reason: invalid-op (0x03)
> >     Sequence: 0 Rx Timestamp: 30981.949s
> > Received from TV to Specific (0 to 14): GIVE_OSD_NAME (0x46)
> >     Sequence: 0 Rx Timestamp: 30982.026s
> > Transmitted by Specific to TV (14 to 0): SET_OSD_NAME (0x47):
> >     name: TV
> >     Sequence: 24 Tx Timestamp: 30982.137s
> >
> > After this point in time the standby command will succeed and the
> > projector will turn off. It's quite inconvenient to have to wait over
> > 20 minutes to turn the projector back off again. Any idea how I can
> > shorten this delay?
>
> There is something weird about your setup and EDID. I can't really tell
> what it is.

After making the above changes and retesting, the behavior didn't
change. I still get the device not connected message and the invalid
physical address when I try to do standby. I should also note that one
way around this issue is to reboot the RPi. For some reason that seems
to get around the long delay in getting the physical address.

I don't know what would be strange about my set up other than the
projector itself and a couple of lines I uncommented in the config.txt
to set the RPi to use HDMI even if the projector is not on at the time
of booting. Is there more information I can provide that would allow
us to figure out what's going on? If you are correct that for some
reason it is just not reading the EDID, is there a way to manually
provide that? I don't know much about it, but it's a static property
of the device (the projector in this case), right?

Thanks,
Shawn