Re: [RFC/PATCH v4 00/11] Media controller (core and V4L2)

Hi Mauro,

On Thursday 09 September 2010 03:44:15 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 20-08-2010 12:29, Laurent Pinchart escreveu:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > Here's the fourth version of the media controller patches. All comments
> > received so far have hopefully been incorporated.
> >
> > Compared to the previous version, the patches have been rebased on top of
> > 2.6.35 and a MEDIA_IOC_DEVICE_INFO ioctl has been added.
> >
> > I won't submit a rebased version of the V4L2 API additions and OMAP3 ISP
> > patches right now. I will first clean up (and document) the V4L2 API
> > additions patches, and I will submit them as a proper RFC instead of
> > sample code.
>
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Sorry for a late review on the media controller API. I got flooded by
> patches and other work since the merge window.

No worries. I was on holidays last week anyway.

> Anyway, just finished my review, and sent a per-patch comment for most
> patches.

Thanks.

> One general comment about it: the userspace API should be documented via
> DocBook, to be consistent with V4L2 and DVB API specs.

I feared so :-) I'll work on it.

> It should also be clear at the API specs there that not all media drivers
> will implement the media controller API,

I agree.

> as its main focus is to allow better control of SoC devices, where there are
> needs to control some intrinsic characteristics of parts of the devices,
> complementing the V4L2 spec.

Some consumer devices (ivtv for instance) will also benefit from the media
controller, the API is not specific to SoC devices only.

> This means that it is needed to add some comments at the kernelspace API
> doc, saying that the drivers implementing the media controller API are
> required to work properly even when userspace is not using the media
> controller API;

That's another issue. Drivers should make a best effort to allow pure V4L2
applications to work with a subset of the video device nodes, but they will
only offer a subset of the hardware capabilities. For SoC devices it's even
worse, it might be way too difficult to implement support for pure V4L2
applications in the kernel driver(s). In that case a device-specific libv4l
plugin will configure the driver using the media controller API for pure V4L2
applications.

> This also means that it is needed to add some comments at the userspace API
> doc, saying that userspace applications should not assume that media
> drivers will implement the media controller API.

Agreed. Many V4L2 drivers will not implement the media controller API.

> So, userspace applications implementing the media controller and V4L2 API's
> are required to work properly if the device doesn't present a media
> controler API interface.

Applications can require support for the media controller API, but they should
only do so for specific cases (for instance applications tied to specific SoC
hardware, or graphical user interfaces on top of the media controller API
similar to qv4l2).

> It should also say that no driver should just implement the media controller
> API.

I haven't thought about that, as it would be pretty useless :-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart