Re: [RFC 01/10] media: v4l: async: Return async sub-devices to subnotifier list

Hi Jacopo,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 01:56:54PM +0100, Jacopo Mondi wrote:
> Hi Sakari
>
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 11:20:29PM +0200, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > When an async notifier is unregistered, the async sub-devices in the
> > notifier's done list will disappear with the notifier. However this is
> > currently also done to the sub-notifiers that remain registered. Their
> > sub-devices only need to be unbound while the async sub-devices themselves
> > need to be returned to the sub-notifier's waiting list. Do this now.
>
> I'm a bit missing the point of re-adding the async sub-device to the
> waiting list if the sub-notifier is about to be un-registered as well.

The point is that that's not known. The main notifier may come back,
without the sub-notifier being removed. Those sub-devices only should be
removed with the sub-notifier.

> The only use I found is printing out the list of pending async
> subdevices. Why is this relevant for sub-notifiers only ?

The current model assumes that the main notifier is always removed first of
all notifiers. That should of course be changed but it's much more than a
simple bugfix.

--
Regards,

Sakari Ailus