Re: v4l-utils 1.24.0 has been released

Hi Gregor,

Em Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:44:41 +0100
Gregor Jasny <gjasny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> I'm happy to announce that v4l-utils 1.24.0 has been released. This will
> be the last version before the build system will be migrated from
> Autotools to Meson.
>
> Changelog:
> https://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git/tree/ChangeLog?h=v4l-utils-1.24.0
> Download: https://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-utils/v4l-utils-1.24.0.tar.bz2

I wouldn't mind if we would have a shorter release time for version
1.26 - or maybe it is time to increase major, so version 2.0.

As we are now using a new building system, it would be nice to have
a stable version frozen, with not much other changes, in order
to allow distros to opt either to use version 1.24 with autotools
or to migrate to the newest version, with meson, but not many other
changes.

So, perhaps we should aim release a new version in 2 months or
so, once we have enough time to do cleanups if needed and having
media maintainers and developers familiar with the new way.

Comments?

PS.: on that matter, I took ahead and changed Fedora rawhide
v4l2-utils package to use the new building system:

	https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-43964d4d83

That helped to identify a bug after the migration at the man page
location, and hopefully would help to have more tests on a more
realistic scenario (e. g. after packaged on distributions).

Thanks,
Mauro