Re: How to check if a profile/level is supported by V4L2 stateful decode?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 12:35, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30/01/2023 13:23, John Cox wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How should I check whether or not a given profile and level is
> > supported by a stateful decoder? Chrome uses VIDIOC_QUERYMENU to test
> > whether a given profile is supported by, say,
> > V4L2_CID_MPEG_VIDEO_H264_PROFILE. Is this "correct"? Certainly a few
> > decoders seem to support this usage (qcom/venus, mediatek and possibly
> > some others).
> >
> > The documentation currently suggests that
> > V4L2_CID_MPEG_VIDEO_H264_PROFILE is only an encoder control. Should
> > the documentation be extended to cover decoder use too?
>
> I think the documentation is out of date.
>
> For decoders this control definitely makes sense, but only as a READONLY
> control. After all you can't set it.
I think I saw a decoder that allowed setting using it to produce
sensible default sizes for the coded OUTPUT buffers so it is not
completely pointless.

> Ideally it would also report which profile the currently decoding stream
> uses, but I don't know if that is always possible.
It certainly is not possible in all cases (rpi stateful firmware
doesn't report it).

Many thanks for the swift response

John Cox