Re: [Q] camera test pattern as an alternative input?

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 19:09 +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> In a currently running mt9m111 thread we're discussing ways to activate
> one of camera's (sensor's) test patterns. A module parameter has been
> proposed, earlier this has been done by just using the infamous
> VIDIOC_DBG_S_REGISTER. But then it occurred to me, that there has been
> previously such a discussion and it has been proposed to assign
> alternative inputs to various test patterns. So, you just issue a
> VIDIOC_S_INPUT to switch between the actual video input and one of test
> patterns. Can anyone else remember such a discussion or maybe just knows
> examples of such drivers?

The SAA7127 Video Encoder has a test pattern generator.  The saa7127.c
file uses a module option to enable it a module probe time.  It also
appears the v4l2_subdev.s_routing method of the saa7127 module can also
be used to switch to the test signal generator as input (So
VIDIOC_S_INPUT looks like it should work, maybe?).

There's your precedent.

Also using VIDIOC_S_INPUT also makes a lot of sense to me.  A test
pattern is an input; just an internal one as opposed to an external one.

>  A couple of grep attempts haven't revealed
> anything. Is this a good idea?

I don't think it's bad.  Working through implementation details might
show you if anything is really bad (VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT, etc.).

Regards,
Andy