Re: EasyCAP (534d:0021) not offering native 720x576

Hi Jiri

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 at 09:29, Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05. 01. 23, 8:23, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 02:12:44PM +0100, Ricardo Ribalda wrote:
> >> Hi Jiri
> >>

> >> I think that /dev/video3 belongs to your notebook webcam, not to the EasyCAP.
> >
> > That looks correct.
>
> Yes, you are right -- only 2 devices (4+5) are created. I don't know why
> I thought there are 3.
>
> >> 720x480 I believe is the NTSC resolution.
>
> Ah, that makes sense. Which leads me to: sometimes, the picture distorts
> after I start playing the video. It's skewed and halves of the picture
> switched [1]. I assume the driver expects NTSC@720x480, but the device
> sends PAL@720x576, actually. Sometimes, there are also color strips.
>
> [1] https://hci.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/n/skew.jpg
>
> > Can you try starting the
> >> VHS, *before* you connect the grabber to the USB? Maybe that way the
> >> device realises that it should be working in PAL not in NTSC.
> >
> > Good idea. The device advertises a maximum resolution of 720x480 in the
> > UVC descriptors it exposes to the host, so there's nothing the driver
> > can really do to obtain 720x576.
>
> That doesn't help. Maybe it would sound foolish (I don't know the
> internals), but would it make sense to re-read UVC parameters on each
> device start in open? Only as a debug aid to see if they change.

UVC is weird. The parameters are part of the USB descriptor, and the
only way to change those is to re-enumerate.

Some HDMI receivers simulate a usb disconnect every time the
resolution of the source changes... If the hdmi signal is not very
good imaging the party :)

> > If plugging an active PAL source to the device before plugging it to the
> > USB port doesn't help, another option for investigation is to capture
> > USB traffic under Windows to check what happens there.
>
> OK, I can try it. I have win10 virt machine set up. So that should be
> easy using usbmon. Except I don't know how to read the mon dumps. I
> should start at Documentation/usb/usbmon.rst, I believe.

TL/DR:
modprobe usbmon
sudo wireshark; select the usbmonX device where your device is attached

Good luck ;)

--
Ricardo Ribalda