Re: [RFC/PATCH v3 0/7] V4L2 subdev userspace API

Em 04-08-2010 09:46, Laurent Pinchart escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 12 July 2010 17:25:45 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Here's the third version of the V4L2 subdev userspace API patches. Comments
>> received on the first and second versions have been incorporated, including
>> the video_usercopy usage. The generic ioctls support patch has been
>> dropped and will be resubmitted later with a use case.
>
> Mauro, is there a chance those patches could get in 2.6.36 ?

Unfortunately, the changes are not high.

I still have lots of patches ready to merge that I received before the start of the
merge window waiting for me to handle. As you know, we should first send the patches
to linux-next, and wait for a while, before sending them upstream. I won't doubt that
this time, we'll have only a 7-days window before -rc1.

There are also some other dead lines for this week, including the review of LPC proposals.

Finally, one requirement for merging API additions is to have a driver using it.
In the past, we had bad experiences of adding things at the kernel API, but waiting
for a very long time for a kernel driver using it, as the ones that pushed hard for
adding the new API's didn't submitted their drivers timely (on some cased it ended by
having a driver using the new API's several kernel versions later).
So, even considering that subdev API is ready, we still need to wait for drivers needing
it to be submitted. So, the better is to analyse and apply it after the end of the merge window,
on a separate branch, merging it at the main branch after receiving a driver needing
the new API.

Cheers,
Mauro.