Re: [Media Summit] Imaging Sensor functionality

On 11/09/2022 11:13, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 09:12:15AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> Where does userspace get that information from ?
>>>

>> From the software engineers :-) We designed the cameras, so we know how to operate them.
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure if that's what you meant, though.
>
> :-)
>
> I meant to ask if you have userspace software that can work with
> different camera modules, in which case it would need to identify the
> module and retrieve corresponding parameters. That leads to the question
> of camera module identification (i.e. if we have modules with the same
> sensor but with different lenses, how do we identify that, as typically
> in DT all we have is the sensor model), parameters format (can we
> standardize that, in order to have interoperability of different
> userspace software with different platforms) and storage (some systems
> have an NVM in the camera sensor or in the camera sensor module, can we
> meaningfully use that ?).

Ah, no. These camera assemblies are part of the product itself. E.g. something
like this: https://projectworkplace.cisco.com/products/cisco-webex-dx80

Obviously the software knows the product as a whole, and so knows how the
camera assembly is made. Note that for most of these controls the device tree
will provide the ranges (depends on the number of steps of the stepper motor,
etc.)

I'm not up to speed on all the details (motor control is not my area of expertise),
but if there are specific questions I can probably dig them up (unless it is Cisco
proprietary code, of course).

Regards,

	Hans